In most cases The Chinese Consulate automatically grants a duration of stay for 30 days to 60 days for tourist and business visas, and 120 days for former Chinese citizens that are visiting relatives. The Chinese Consulate will consider applicant’s requests for a duration of stay of 120 days to 180 days for the the following circumstances. For some nationalities, an extended stay request may result in them shortening length of your visa. For some nationalities, extended stay requests may not be possible.
If you have any questions, please contact us before applying. The request is a consideration and not a guarantee for approval. No refund will be given if the visa is approved but without the requested duration of stay or the length of your visa is changed.
1) Former Chinese nationals who have elder or ill parents in China might request a duration of stay of up to 180 days. Please provide an invitation letter by a relative in China that states this matter. If the parent is ill, please provide any relevant hospital documents.
2) Former Chinese national who is older than 65 years of age may request a duration of stay of up to 180 days. Applicants must show proof of former Chinese citizenship with either their passport showing birth place in China, or a Chinese birth authentication. Please provide an invitation letter by a relative in China that requests 180 days of stay.
3) Foreigner who is married to Chinese national or former Chinese citizens. Foreigners who have a married relationship with a current or former Chinese citizen may apply for a duration of stay of up to 120 days for visiting and 180 days if ill relatives are in need of care in China.
4) Children under the age of 12 born to Chinese nationals or former Chinese citizens can request a duration of stay for 180 days. Children older than 12 are typically given a duration of stay for 120 days. A copy of birth certification and the parent’s passports are required. For other minor requirements, please visit the minor requirement page.
5) Applicants who can establish direct linkage to a Chinese national or former Chinese citizens with relatives in China can request a duration of 120 days stay. (Direct linkage is defined as parents and grandparents)