Q: Is an appointment required for a visa application? Can I entrust someone else to apply for me?

A: No appointment is required. You may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to come to the visa office for application processing, but mail-in applications are not accepted by the Chinese Embassy and Consulates.

Q: Can I provide the embassy or consulate with a photocopy of my passport?

A: No. Your must provide your original passport.

Q: I cannot pull out your application from the Internet, can you e-mail me one?

A: We can email a copy to you. Please give us your email address.

Q: I'm going to China on June 1, and my visa will expire on June 10. Can I still stay in China for 30 days?

A: Yes. Usually a Chinese visa is good for 90 days from the date of issue, which means, you can enter China Within 90 days (please note the time difference between China and the U.S.); and duration of stay is 30 days (It is written in the visa label), which means from the date of your entrance, you can stay in China for 30 days.

Q: I am going to Guangdong, then to Hong Kong and back to Guangdong for one night. Does it mean that I must have a double-entry visa?

A:Absolutely. Double-entry visa means you can enter into mainland of China twice. Since you are going to Guangdong in the mainland of China twice, you must have a double-entry visa.

Q: Must I use a certified mail to send my application to your office?

A: You can choose any mail to send your application to us, but we do recommend certified mail so that you can track your important documents and have proof of when they are delivered. You can also read our return shipping cost and policy for how we handle your passport and document return shipping.

Q: My return mail would be USPS Priority Mail. Do you have any idea how much postage I should pay?

A: Please check with the post office as the postage depends on the weight of the parcel. For FedEx, include your credit card number or account number on the airbill. For your safety, we would like to suggest you to use FedEx or Express Mail, because they are traceable.

Q: I plan to mail my applications to your office. Can I combine the visa fee, rush fee and your service fee together and send just one check or money order?

A: Yes, you can do that. You can also read our payment information page

Q: I am wondering whether you have received my application. Can I call you to check the status of my application?

A: Yes, you can call us at any time to check the status of your application.

Q: If I mail you everything I need to apply for a visa today, when will I receive my passport back?

A: Regular service takes 4 business days to process + mail time.
Express or next day service takes 2 business days to process + mail time.
Rush or same day service – your documents must be in our office around 9:30 a.m. for 5:00 p.m. mail out on the same day + mail time.

Q: How many passport photos must I include?

A: One (passport type) photo per application, taken in the last 6 months.

Q: Must I send my passport with the documents?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I pay you with a personal check?

A: Yes. You can pay with a personal check for regular service. If you choose Rush or Express service you must pay with money order or credit card.

Q: I am having problems filling in the application on my computer. May I print it out and handwrite the fields?

A: No. You cannot write the visa application form by hand. If you have any problems downloading the form, just contact our office for assistance.

Q: What is an invitation letter, and how can it be utilized?

A: An invitation letter is used to apply for family visiting (Q2) visa and a business (F) visa and for business visa the invitation letter must be issued by company in China. Please see our examples below

tourist invitation letter

business visa invitation

Or visit our tourist and family based visa page or business visa (M/F) page

Q: Do I need an invitation letter if I am going for tourism?

A: You can provide either the flight itinerary and the hotel reservation or the invitation letter and the inviter’s Chinese ID card copy.

Q: Can I apply for a 12 month multiple entry Chinese visa?

A: It depends on your nationality. Please see our Visa Application pages for more details. US Citizens are eligible for 10 year multiple entry visas.

Q: I am a Non US passport holder, may I apply for a 12 month multiple entry visa?

A: Non US passport holders can only apply for a single or double entry visa. If they want to apply the multiple entry one-year visa, they need to go back to their home country to apply.

Q: I am going to be traveling to Houston soon; is it okay if I mail the documents to you and pick up my passport from you when I arrive in Houston?

A: Yes, you can do so. Just make sure you allow us enough time to process your visa before arriving in Houston to pick up your passport/visa.

Q: I am mailing you my passport; I am a little worried, do you physically take the passports to the Chinese Consulate?

A: Yes, we go to the Chinese Consulate in Houston twice a day to submit and to pick up.

Q: I was in Houston and I dropped off my passport and application but I live in Georgia. If I mail you my pick up slip, can you pick up my passport and mail it back to me?

A: Yes, we do have this kind of service. We will charge you a service fee and you must also provide us a prepaid return envelope to mail your passport back to you along with your Chinese visa. You can also use our FedEx account for a $28 fee.

Q: I need to apply for a Hong Kong and Macao visa, can your office assist me with that?

A: Yes, we can assist you with it. Please visit our Hong Kong Visa Page and Macao Visa Page

Q: Can I send a black and white photo for the application?

A: No, black and white photos are not acceptable. It must be an actual passport photo in color taken in the last 6 months.

Q: My passport will expire in less than 6 months but I only need a single entry visa. Is there any way I can still apply for a Chinese visa?

A: No. Your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months on the day of submission.

Q: Can you help me renew my passport?

A: Yes, we can help you renew your passport. Just give us a call at 713-774-5606 for more information or you can visit our U.S. Passport Renew page

Q: I am going to China on a business trip, my spouse is coming along. What type of visa does my spouse need to apply for?

A: Your spouse can apply for a tourist visa.