J1 visa is residing journalists that will be covering news in China over 180 days.
J2 is for short-term visiting journalists that will be covering news in China less than 190 days.
Please collect the required documents listed below and send to our office via any trackable mailing service. You must send your original passport so that the visa can be issued once it has been approved. We will mail your passport with the issued visa back to you. The following information for Non-US citizens.
1. Original passport: (Your original passport must be valid for at least 12 months with at least two blank visa pages remaining) If your passport has been issued within the last 6 months, we will need your previous original expired passport.
Please also provide a copy of the first page of your U.S. passport (the page with your picture and passport information).
Applicants who were born in China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan and have previously obtained a Chinese Visa with their US passport, please provide a copy of your previous visa and the first page of your previous US passport if the expired visa is not in your current passport.
Applicants who are former Chinese Citizens or were born in Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macau, and this is your first time applying with U.S. passport, please click here for additional requirements.
2. Visa Application Form : Download the fillable 2014 Edition Form (total 4 pages) The application must be fully completed on a computer, and printed on single-sided letter size white paper only. If you cannot view the page, please download Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you experience any problems downloading the form, please contact us to email a form to you.
We offer a form filling service starting at $7 per application.
Hand written forms will not be accepted.
3. Additional Form Requirement: Additional Form V.2018-J Visa (total 1 pages). The Chinese Consulate recently required an additional form to be completed for J visa applications. This form can be hand-written or typed.
4. You must send a copy of the U.S. Green Card or long term U.S. visa. Don’t send us the original Green Card unless your Green Card is in the process of being renewed and the renewal sticker is stuck to the back of the Green Card. If this is the case, then please send us your original Green Card and use tape to secure it to the front of the passport. In some cases, Chinese Consulate might require the original Green Card. If so, the applicant will be responsible for the shipping cost to send the original Green Card to us.
Non-US Citizens must be a permanent resident (green card) or have a U.S. L1 or H1B visa with a validity of 12 months or longer to apply in the U.S. for a J visa, otherwise, the Chinese government requires you to apply from the Chinese Consulate in the country of your nationality.
5. Journalist Visa Requirement:
– Original visa notification issued by an Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of PRC
– Original work permit for aliens issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security
The Chinese Government recently started to issue both the visa notification and work permit on the same page.
When those notifications and permits are issued, they must be posted to the Chinese Consulate electronically by the issuing government agency. Depending where you are residing, they must be posted to different consulates. Please click to see where work permits should be electronically posted
-An invitation letter issued Chinese media authorities or your company’s Chinese media subsidiary. On the invitation letter it must have your name list, passport number, issue and expiring dates, gender, birthday, arrival and departure time, places of interview or working location, content to cover, introduction of the news agency, and name/address/contact number of the news agency in China.
-An introduction letter from your media company in the U.S., that includes your name list, passport number, issue and expiring dates, gender, birthday, position with the company, years working, department or area of news coverage name/address/contact number of the news agency in the U.S.
-A copy of your current resume. Current copy of resume should include at least 5 years of work history.
6. Two recent passport type (2”x2”) color photograph taken with a white background in the past 6 months. The photograph must be attached to the visa application form.
7. Applicants who have been to China within the past 2 years must provide a copy of their most recent Chinese Visa issued as well as a copy of the last entry and exit passport stamps in the passport.
8. Proof of Residency: Please provide a copy of your driver license or a copy of another state issued ID, or employee ID. If you do not hold any of these, please send us a copy of a utility bill/bank statement/ or any other mail showing your name and home address.
9. Return Mail to return passport and visa: Chinese Visa Office provides return mail via FedEx starting at $30 dollars, or you can provide a pre-paid mail label or self-stamped envelope.
10. Fees and Payment methods: We accept personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, money orders, and Credit Card for saver, regular and express service. Credit Card Order Form can be mailed along with other document to us or you may provide your credit card over the phone.
11. For dependence, please visit our dependents visa page for more information
12. Fees- The price of the visa is different depending on which country you are a citizen of. The Chinese consulate has different costs for different nationalities, please click on the link for cost information. We accept check/money order/cashier cash and payee is Chinese Visa Office or you can pay by credit card and complete a Credit Card Order Form All payment can be mailed along with the all the required documents to our office. Please visit our payment page or call us at 713-774-5606 for more information.
Citizens of Afghanistan, CAR, DRC, France, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, S. Sudan, Syria, and Yemen must apply for a visa in person regardless if you hold U.S. permanent residence. This is due to the bilateral agreements signed or reached between China and the respective countries. Please click on the “Non-US citizens required to apply in person” page below for more information.
(1) The Chinese consulate may request the original green card under certain situations. You will be responsible for the cost to mail the original green card to us.
(2) The Chinese consulate reserves the right to request an interview from non-us citizens after submission of materials even if your country is exempt from the required to apply in person countries list.
(3) The Chinese Consulate do not offer rush service for J visa and J Dependent Visa
(4) Visit our payment page for more information.
B: Return Mailing
If you wish to use our return mail service, please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form v.19
|FedEx Standard Shipping||$30|
|FedEx First Overnight||$65|
|FedEx shipment to HI, AK, PR||$40|
|FedEx Saturday Delivery||$40|
|Additional Return Address||$30|
|Pick-up /Pre-paid Envelope||$0|
Our FedEx return shipping is released without a signature. Should you require a signature with your return shipping envelope, please inform us by leaving a note with your application or by contacting us by phone. FedEx has its own damage, lost or missing and claim policy, please visit FedEx website for information. For Chinese visa office return shipping information, please read our return shipping cost and policy
C: Total cost to pay: Service Fee + Return Mailing Cost
If you have any additional services such as form filling service, please add it into the total cost.
Check/Money Order/Cashier Cash payee is Chinese Visa Office or you can complete Credit Card Order Form and can be mailed along with the all the required documents to our office. Please visit our for cc payment or call us at 713-774-5606 to provide cc payment.
Chinese Visa Office
10402 Harwin Dr. Suite #A3
Houston, TX 77036
We highly recommend using FedEx shipping. USPS does not issue receipts for mail drop off. For USPS priority mail, please ask for a confirmation number when you purchase the return mail. For more information on return shipping rates, time, and options, please read our return shipping cost and policy