Work (Z) Visa
Please collect the required documents listed below and send to our office via any trackable mailing service. You must send your original passport so that the visa can be issued once it has been approved. We will mail your passport with the issued visa back to you.
1. Original passport: (Your original passport must be valid for at least 12 months with at least two blank visa pages remaining) If your passport has been issued within the last 12 months, we need your previous original expired passport.
Please also provide a copy of the first page of your U.S. passport (the page with your picture and passport information).
Applicants who were born in China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan and have previously obtained a Chinese Visa with their US passport, please provide a copy of your previous visa and the first page of your previous US passport if the expired visa is not in your current passport.
Applicants who are former Chinese Citizens or were born in Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macau, and this is your first time applying with U.S. passport, please click here for additional requirements.
2. Visa Application Form : Download the fillable 2014 Edition Form (total 4 pages) The application must be fully completed on a computer, and printed on single-sided letter size white paper only. If you cannot view the page, please download Adobe Acrobat Reader. For instruction and tips on completing the application, please see Chinese Visa Application Instruction. If you experience any problems downloading the form, please contact us to email a form to you.
We offer a form filling service starting at $7 per application.
Hand written forms will not be accepted.
3. Additional Form Requirement: Additional Form (total 1 pages). The Chinese Consulate recently required an additional form to be completed for work visa applications. This form can be hand-written or typed.
4. Work Visa Requirement: Please provide your:
– Original visa notification issued by an authorized Chinese unit
– Original work permit for aliens issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security, or foreign expert’s license issued by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (in some cases a copy will be sufficient, please call for information).
The Chinese Government recently started to issue both the visa notification and work permit on the same page.
Dependent Z visa Requirements –
– Original visa notification issued by an authorized Chinese unit (if applying with Z visa holder, dependent’s names can be on the same notification)
-Copy of either a marriage certification for spouse applicants, or a copy of birth certification for children. (Certification must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation)
S1 is Z dependent residence visa. S2 is short term visit. For more information on dependent (S1 or S2) visa, please visit S1 and S2 Visa Page .
When those notifications and permits are issued, they must be posted to the Chinese Consulate electronically by the issuing government agency. Depending where you are residing, they are posted to different consulates. Please click to see where work permits should be electronically posted.
5. One recent passport type (2”x2”) color photograph taken with a white background in the past 6 months. The photograph must be attached to the visa application form. You can take the picture at places that take U.S. passport photos such as Walgreens, CVS or Walmart. Please see click to see Chinese Visa Picture Requirement for more information.
6. Applicants who have been to China within the past 2 years must provide a copy of their most recent Chinese Visa issued as well as a copy of the last entry and exit passport stamps in the passport.
7. Proof of Residency: Please provide a copy of your driver license or a copy of another state issued ID, or employee ID. If you do not hold any of these, please send us a copy of a utility bill/bank statement/ or any other mail showing your name and home address.
8. Return Mail to return passport and visa: Chinese Visa Office provides return mail via FedEx starting at $28 dollars, or you can provide a pre-paid mail label or self-stamped envelope.
9. Fees and Payment methods: We accept personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, money orders or credit card for saver, regular and express service. You can mail the Credit Card Order Form along with your other materials. Visit our payment page for more information. Rush Service is not available for work visa.
A: Visa Processing Fee
|Service Type||Process Time (2)||Validity (1)||Entries||Consulate Fee||Service Fee||Total Fee|
|Saver||7+ Workdays||3 Months/Employment contract||1/M||$140||$99||$239|
|Regular||6-7 Workdays||3 Months/Employment contract||1/M||$140||$129||$269|
|Express||4-5 Workdays||3 Months/Employment contract||1/M||$160||$159||$319|
1) Z visa is usually valid for 3 months with single entry and you can exchange it for residents permit in China that will have the validity of your employment. If your employment contract is a short term contract then your visa is short term work visa and the validity will be the terms of your work contract. It will be either single entry or multiple. This is at the discretion of the consular.
2) Processing time is not guaranteed and will be affect by holiday, consular vacation, closure, and other circumstances. Chinese consulate reserves the right to extend processing time without notification or reason
B: Return Shipping Fee
If you wish to use our return mail service, please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form
|FedEx Standard Shipping||$28|
|FedEx First Overnight||$65|
|FedEx shipment to HI, AK, PR||$38|
|FedEx Saturday Delivery||$38|
|Additional Return Address||$28|
|Pick-up /Pre-paid Envelope||$0|
Our FedEx return shipping is released without a signature. Should you require a signature with your return shipping envelope, please inform us by noting it in return shipping order form or by contacting us by phone. FedEx has its own damage, lost or missing and claim policy, please visit FedEx website for information. For Chinese Visa Office return shipping information, please read our return shipping cost and policy
C: Total cost to pay: Service Fee + Return Mailing Cost
Check/Money Order/Cashier Cash payee is Chinese Visa Office and can be mailed along with the all the required documents to our office. Please complete Credit Card Order Form or call us at 713-774-5606 to provide cc payment. You can mail the credit card order form along with other materials. You can also visit our payment information.
Chinese Visa Office
6200 Savoy Dr. #255
Houston, TX 77036
We highly recommend using FedEx shipping. USPS does not issue receipts for mail drop off. For USPS priority mail, please ask for a confirmation number when you purchase the return mail. For more information on return shipping rates, time, and options, please read our return shipping cost and policy