S1 and S2 visas are issued to X and Z visa holders’ immediate dependents. Those dependents include spouse, children and elder parents that may need cares. S2 visa will also be issued to relatives that are coming for short term visit. For Difference on S1 and S2, please see S1 and S2 Chinese Visa Difference.
For Non-US citizens, you must be green card holder or L2 or H4 visa holders for Z dependent applicant, or F2 visa holder for X dependent applicant to apply for S1 or S2 Chinese Visa in the U.S.
Please collect the required documents listed below and send to our office via any trackable mailing service. You must send your original passport so that the visa can be issued once it has been approved. We will mail your passport with the issued visa back to you.
1. Original passport: (Your original passport must be valid for at least 12 months with at least two blank visa pages remaining) If your passport has been issued within the last 12 months, we need your previous original expired passport. For children aged 17 and under, we require a copy of their birth certificate and a copy of both parents’ passports or US driver licenses.
Please also provide a copy of the first page of your U.S. passport (the page with your picture and passport information).
Applicants who were born in China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan and have previously obtained a Chinese Visa with their US passport, please provide a copy of your previous visa and the first page of your previous US passport if the expired visa is not in your current passport.
Applicants who are former Chinese Citizens or were born in Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macau, and this is this is your first time applying with U.S. passport, please click here for additional requirements.
2. You must send a copy of the U.S. Green Card or long term U.S. visa. Don’t send us the original Green Card unless your Green Card is in the process of being renewed and the renewal sticker is stuck to the back of the Green Card. If this is the case, then please send us your original Green Card and use tape to secure it to the front of the passport. In some cases, Chinese Consulate might require the original Green Card. If so, the applicant will be responsible for the shipping cost to send the original Green Card to us.
3. Visa Application Form : Download the fillable 2019 Edition Form (total 4 pages) The application must be fully completed on a computer, and printed on single-sided letter size white paper only. If you cannot view the page, please download adobe acrobat reader. If Adobe asks for you to download a font pack to type on the form, you can do so through adobe acrobat reader font pack. Ensure all your information is correct and if there is any information that does not apply to you or you do not know, please write N/A. For instruction and tips on completing the application, please see Chinese Visa Application Instruction V.2019. If you experience any problems downloading the form, please contact us to email a form to you.
We offer a form filling service starting at $7 per application.
Hand written forms will not be accepted.
4. Two recent passport type (2”x2”) color photograph taken with a white background. The photograph must be attached to the visa application form. You can take the pictures at local CVS or Walgreens. Please see click to see Chinese Visa Picture Requirement for more information.
5. Additional Form Requirement: Additional Form (total 1 pages). The Chinese Consulate recently required an additional form to be completed for S1 and S2 visa applicants. The form is not required for the following occupations: students not in college, homemakers, retired, unemployed, or children. This form can be hand-written or typed.
S1 Visa Requirement – S1 visa is long term residing visa in China. The visa is valid for 3 months and once enter China, applicant will have 30 days to register with the local police for a residence permit. This visa is usually issued to spouse and children 17 and under. Please see more information on our residence permit page
For work visa (Z) dependent applying together with work visa (Z) holder
– A Copy WORK PERMIT NOTIFICATION FOR Z VISA * issued by Ministry of Labor and Social Security (if applying with Z visa holder, dependence names can be on the same notification)
* Please click here to see an example of WORK PERMIT NOTIFICATION FOR Z VISA
* In most cases, a copy of the work permit notification for Z visa is sufficient, however, when consulate cannot e-verify your document, they will request the original work permit. You are responsible for the shipping cost to send the original document to us.
– A copy of either marriage certification for spouse applicants, or a copy of birth certification for children. (Certification must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation)
When those notifications and permits are issued, they must be post to the Chinese Consulate electrically by the issuing government agency. Depending where you are residing, they must be post to different consulates. Please click to see where work permit should be electrically posted
For dependent that is applying individually
Dependent may apply individually after work visa (Z) holder received his/her work visa or obtained Residence Permit in PRC*.
— Original Visa notification for accompanying family members * issued by an authorized Chinese unit OR if Z visa holder already obtained the Z visa then a copy of work visa (Z) holder’s visa OR a copy Chinese Residence Permit in PRC*
*Please click here to see an example of the Visa Notification for Accompanying Family Members*.
*In most cases, a copy of the visa notification is sufficient, however, when consulate cannot e-verify your document, they will request the original work permit. You are responsible for the shipping cost to send the original document to us.
-A copy of either marriage certification for spouse applicants, OR a copy of birth certification for children. (Certification must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation)
-A copy of work visa holder’s first page of his/her passport
For student visa (X) dependent applying together with student visa (X) holder
– A copy of student visa (X) holder’s Admission Letter*
-A copy J101 or J202 Form*
*In most cases, a copy of the Admission Letter and J101 or J202 Form is sufficient, however, consulate can request the original document for further verification. You are responsible for the shipping cost to send the original document to us.
-A copy of either marriage certification for spouse applicants, or a copy of birth certification for children. (Certification must be in English or accompanied by a notarized English translation)
-A copy of student visa holder’s first page of his/her passport
For dependent that is applying individually
If student visa (X) holder already obtain a student visa or Chinese Residence Permit in PRC*, then applicant can provide
-A copy of student visa (x) holder’s student visa or Chinese residence permit in PRC
-A copy of student visa holder’s first page of his/her passport
S2 visa requirement -S2 visa is a short term visiting visa to China. U.S. passport holder will usually be granted 10 years multiple entries visa with a duration of stay for 60 to 120 days. If you would like 120 days of stay, please request that on your visa application page 3, section 2.5 – Longest intended stay in China among all entries.
Please provide a COPY of inviter’s passport plus a copy of the inviter’s student (X) or work (Z) visa or Chinese residence card
Please provide a copy of the invitation letter written by the inviter. Please click here for a tourist invitation letter* example. Inviter may hand-write the letter on paper, then scan, email or fax the letter to you.
please provide a proof of relationship such as birth certification, marriage license to proof the relationship between you and the inviter.
7. Applicants who have been to China within the past 2 years must provide a copy of their most recent Chinese Visa issued as well as a copy of the last entry and exit passport stamps in the passport.
8. Proof of Residency: Please provide a copy of your driver license or a copy of another state issued ID, student ID or employee ID. If you do not hold any of these, please send us a copy of a utility bill/bank statement/ or any other mail showing your name and home address. Applicants 17 or under without a driver license can submit their student ID or parent’s driver license.
9. Return Mail to return passport and visa: Chinese Visa Office provides return mail via FedEx starting at $30 dollars -Please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form V.19-1, or you can provide a per-paid mail label or self-stamped envelope.
Citizens of Afghanistan, CAR, DRC, France, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, S. Sudan, Syria, and Yemen must apply for a visa in person regardless if you hold U.S. permanent residence. This is due to the bilateral agreements signed or reached between China and the respective countries. Please click on the “Non-US citizens required to apply in person” page below for more information.
Please click on your nationality or if your nationality is not listed, please click on all other countries.
(1) The Chinese consulate may request the original green card under certain situations. You will be responsible for the cost to mail the original green card to us.
(2) The Chinese consulate reserves the right to request an interview from non-us citizens after submission of materials even if your country is exempt from the required to apply in person countries list.
(3) The Chinese Consulate do not offer rush service for Z visa and Z Dependent Visa
(4) Visit our payment page for more information.
B: Return Mailing
If you wish to use our return mail service, please complete our Chinese Visa Office FedEx Shipping Order Form V.19-1
|FedEx Standard Shipping||$30|
|FedEx First Overnight||$65|
|FedEx shipment to HI, AK, PR||$40|
|FedEx Saturday Delivery||$40|
|Additional Return Address (Contiguous US Only)||$30|
|Pick-up /Pre-paid Envelope||$0|
C: Total cost to pay: Service Fee + Return Mailing Cost
Check/Money Order/Cashier Cash payee is Chinese Visa Office and can be mailed along with the all the required documents to our office. Please complete Credit Card Order Form or call us at 713-774-5606 to provide cc payment. You can mail the credit card order form along with other materials. You can also visit our payment information.
Chinese Visa Office
10402 Harwin Dr. Suite #A3
Houston, TX 77036
We highly recommend using FedEx shipping. USPS does not issue receipts for mail drop off. For USPS priority mail, please ask for a confirmation number when you purchase the return mail. For more information on return shipping rates, time, and options, please read our return shipping cost and policy
* sample for reference only, actual document might vary from sample.